Tuesday 24 November 2020

Homemade Christmas

I started crafting for Christmas a few weeks ago.

Along with sewing and knitting, I also wanted to include some general crafting for presents.

I watched one of my favourite YouTuber's create coasters from tiles using Mod Podge. This inspired me to make a gift for my long-time friend. She is redecorating her master bedroom with a theme of nature.

She has recently mentioned to me (a few times) about her love of dandelions. I thought that this project would be a perfect gift for her!

ART COASTERS (OR WALL HANGINGS)

- 4 copy-right free images from the internet (or your personal photography)

- 4 - 4" ceramic tiles (I used glossy)

- Mod-Podge or other decoupage glue (I chose matte finish)

- wide foam brush or paint brush

- cardboard or plastic chopping boards (dollar store) to use as a work surface

1. Print out photos to fit your tiles. My tiles were 4" squares, so I ordered my 4 x 4" photos at my local store online. (It is easier to crop your images into a square shape before you upload.) Select small image (my option was up to 6") to get the best pixal quality for your image. Alternatively, you can print the images you select on your own personal printer, or send them to an office shop.

2. Check your ceramic tiles. Make sure that they are clean and not chipped/broken.

3. On a flat work surface, place a tile. Pour about a tablespoon of the Mod Podge over top of the tile surface and evenly spread with your foam or paint brush. Let set for a couple of minutes. Place the image right-side up on top of the poured and smoothed Mod Podge on tile. Place about another tablespoon of Mod Podge over your image, smoothing out from the centre. Re-straigten as needed, and coat entire top of image. Make sure that you apply evenly and don't leave fingerprints as it gets tacky.

4. Your Mod Podge creation should set up and dry clearly within 20 minutes. Be patient though. It's best to let it completely dry over night.

My project:

I am thrilled with the results!

This was a simple project, but inexpensive and very rewarding.

Total cost per tile: 29 cents CDN

Total cost per print: 39 cents CDN

Mod Podge that I bought years ago, so I'm figuring it's paid for itself

I bought a cute Christmas box from the dollar store that fits these perfectly. I will also include some felt padding to put on the bottoms so that they don't scratch any table.

Happy crafting!