Tuesday 24 March 2020

How a Mug Mat Turned into a Pillow

Today is day 9 of self-isolation. It really hasn't been too bad, especially since I have a stash of crafting supplies.

I've been eyeing a pattern for a free orange slice mug mat from Fort Worth Fabric Studio for a while. Yesterday I pulled out my array of orange fabrics and began my mug mat.

It was my first time trying applique, and I am enthralled by the possibilities that it opened up!

I followed directions, but knew that I wouldn't be able to achieve the proper quilting of the segments because I hadn't spaced by orange segments symmetrically as per instructions given. Thus began my change from an orange slice to a flower, from looking at it, I decided that it needed to be a pillow and not a mug mat!

I added strips of fabric on all four sides of the pillow front, and used matching fabric on the back to make the envelope pillow cover. Finished cover fits 16" square pillow form (that I've had for quite a while, and bought cheap at a thrift store).

Happy sewing, and stay HOME! :)